Skip to main content

Gore School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0225


  • Majority of material found within 1882 - 1978

Gore (Public) Main School

Gore Public School opened in 1878 with a roll of forty students. The first headmaster was Mr. James Milne. The first school was destroyed by fire on 3/7/1896 but was rebuilt on the same site and ready for occupants by December that same year. From 1901 to 1908 the school also functioned as a District High School. On 7/5/1920 the second school was again destroyed by fire. The third school was built in brick and ready for occupancy in February 1922.

By 1952 the Roll hit a high of 680 and some classes were accommodated in the Gore Band Hall, the methodist Hall and the disused Charlton Schoolroom. West Gore School was built in 1953 and Longford Intermediate School in 1972. In 1958 a class for child patients was established at Gore Hospital. Mrs Jewel Ritchie was appointed teacher. A new fourth school was opened on 7/12/1984 and the old building removed to make way for a hall and playground.

Schools incorporated into Gore were Croydon Bush (1895 to 1946), Croydon Siding (1896 to 1910 and 1921 to 1936), and Charlton (1924 to 1951).

The school is still in operation as of 2019.

- Notes by E. Easton -

See Bibliography for References


9 box(es) (Boxes 1 - 9)

Language of Materials



'Gore (Main) School : incorporating Croydon Bush, Croydon Siding and Charlton : 125th Jubilee 1878-2003 : a brief survey of history & events' by Robert C. Barnett
Reference: LC 372 BAR
  • p. 11-27: Past school headmasters, teachers and committee members.
  • Includes memories from past pupils, and photographs.
Gore School
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand