Skip to main content

Arthurton School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0420


Collection contains a photocopy of the 1886 to 1939 Admissions, Progress, and Withdrawal Register.


  • Majority of material found within 1886 - 1939

Arthurton School

Arthurton School opened in 1886 with the appointment of first teacher, Mr James Guthrie. Not all the school records have been preserved so the first available Minute Book dates from June 7, 1891. The last known School Committee meeting was May 20, 1939, when Arthurton School was consolidated on Pukerau School.

Arthurton School was run by the Otago Education Board. The School Roll averaged 41 pupils in 1895, but just 24 attending by 1902. In 1911 there were 12 and only 9 in 1912. This attendance figure was repeated in 1920, 1928 and 1929. When the school was consolidated in 1939, the roll was just 8 pupils.

- Notes by E.M. Easton -

See Bibliography for References


1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials



Land of Many Hills: a history of Arthurton, Benio, Pukerau and Otaraia-Kaiwera. By Paula Dickie
REF: LC 993.97 DIC
  • Page 311: Roll of Honour for WWI.
  • Page 299: is an extract from "Gore Early Settlers' Association 1936", in which the late Mr James Spede, of Gore, comments on the building trade of the 1880s and 1890s.
  • Pages 299-303: Extracts from the Minute Books for April 27, 1891 to May 20, 1939.
  • Pages 304-305: Names of School Committee Members 1890-1938.
  • Lists of School Teachers 1886-1939, and Sewing Mistresses 1891-1898.
  • Tributes to teachers James Guthrie, G.W.Carrington, Philip Henry Jones and Mrs Mary Elizabeth Vlietstra.
  • School Roll, by decade, 1886-1939 and memories of the School from former pupils Bill Benson, Emma Mason (Mrs Greenfield of Gore), and George Dacker of Mount Maunganui.
Arthurton School
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand