Skip to main content

All Saints in the Parochial District of Taringatura Lumsden

 Record Group
Identifier: A0598


This collection contains records from the Anglican All Saints Church in Lumsden. There is a register for baptisms covering 1890 to 1955, as well as minute books for 1891 to 1967.


  • Majority of material found within 1890 - 1967


Conditions Governing Access

No inherited restrictions on public access

Biographical / Historical

In 1882 a visit from Bishop Neville of Dunedin prompted the idea of an Anglican church being built in Lumsden. The first church committee had Mr Walter Southern, Mr John E Pickens, Mr Samuel Stanford, Mr Jas Martin, Mr Charles Bowtell, and Mr W. Madden as Church Officer. A building fund was started in 1882 and various fundraising efforts such as concerts were undertaken.

The land for the Church was donated by the New Zealand Agricultural Company in 1883 and the tender for the build was won by Mr Henry Brown.

Monthly services were first held by a Rev. Hobbs up to 1885, then by Rev. Elton for a few months. There was a pause in services and then from 1887 to 1889 Rev. Richardson presided. A Layreader, Mr W.F. Johnson, was appointed in 1888 to allow for fortnightly services. He was followed by a Mr. Chas W. Selby. The Sunday School was established in 1888.

The wooden church building was used as a church hall when the new church was built in 1966.

- Notes by E.M. Easton -


1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials



'A History of the Lumsden township in Northern Southland from 1870 - 1940' by Roy Brown
Reference: LC 993.96 BRO
'A century of steam : a short history of Lumsden, 1876-1976' by I. L. Goodson
Reference: LC 993.96 GOO
  • Page 40: A list of the Vicars of the Parochial District of Waimea Plains.


All Saints in the Parochial District of Taringatura Lumsden
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand