Skip to main content

Aparima School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0125


Collection contains a photocopy of the Admission, Progress, and Withdrawal Registers from 1897 to 1926, as well as records relating to attendence and academic progress.


  • Majority of material found within 1897 - 1970

Aparima School

Aparima School opened in 1897 with a roll of 31 pupils. Some family names of the time were the Taylors, Leggits, Lightfoots, Robsons and Aytons. The first teacher was a Miss Jenny Saunders. The school lay between Otautau and Wreys Bush on two acres purchased by the Education Board in 1897 for one pound. It was a one-room building with a very large fireplace which did not heat the room, so the students were sent out for a run to restore circulation in hands and feet.

Students had to travel to Otautau to sit the Standard 6 proficiency exam, which according to teachers resulted in lower scores due to the stress of travel.

The school closed in August 1970 and was then amalgamated with Otautau School. Aparima School was the community centre for 46 years. Two years after closure, a local farmer bought the land and buildings, then removed the house and sold the grounds to a Sun Club.

- Notes by E. Easton -

See Bibliography for References


2 box(es) (Boxes 1 - 2)

Language of Materials



'Reflecting On : Otautau & District Schools 125th Jubilee 1880-2005' by Otautau District Schools Centennial Committee.
Reference: LC 372 REF
  • Pp. 71-72: Aparima School
  • Features a small picture of the school and the 1968 class.


'Pasture, Coal Seam and Settlement : Centennial History of Nightcaps and District, 1880-1980' by John S.Thomson.
Reference: LC 993.96 THO
  • p. 247: Photo from c.1903.
Aparima School
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand