Skip to main content

H. Mayo's Albion Hotel, Dee Street, c.1874

 Component — Box: ICC-0998
Identifier: S27520001_026
H. Mayo's Albion Hotel, Dee Street
H. Mayo's Albion Hotel, Dee Street

Scope and Contents

East side of Dee Street between Tay and Esk Streets. Block II, sections 1 and 22.

Featuring: Henry Mayo, Albion Hotel [proprietor c. 1872-1876]; G. [George] Lumsden, Watchmaker; A. Aldridge [began in Dee Street 1874]; and W. Lewis & Co., Drapers.

Taken: Between March 1874 and March 1875.

Dates

  • c.1874

Conditions Governing Use

This item has no known copyright restrictions. Please acknowledge Invercargill City Libraries and Archives, Ref: A0105 S27520001_026, when re-using this image.

Biographical / Historical

Early Invercargill witnessed the rise and fall of four Albion hotels. The first, a one-storied wooden structure, was built in approximately 1859 by W. Lind. This was demolished and rebuilt as a two-storied wooden accommodation during the early 1870s, when Henry Mayo took ownership. A fire in March 1875 destroyed the hotel, and a three-storied brick version was built. In 1888, another fire razed the structure, which was again redesigned with an additional fourth floor.

Sources: Papers Past

Extent

From the Item: 1 Volumes

Language of Materials

From the Item: English

Existence and Location of Copies

To obtain a high resolution copy of this image please contact the Archive.

Physical Description

Black and white, gelatin silver photographic print.

Dimensions

H 86mm x W 146mm

Album Caption

26. View of east side of Dee St. between Tay & Esk Streets showing 2nd. Albion Hotel.

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

Contact:
50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand