Skip to main content

Ardlussa School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0127

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1895 - 1937

Ardlussa School

Mr. William Smith was the first teacher when the school opened in 1894. It was a one roomed building, with a two-roomed school residence being built in 1895. The school burned down in 1914, and was re-built soon after. Students travelled by horse, horse and buggy, or walked considerable distances. The roll fluctuated from the low teens to a high of 38 in 1920. The school closed and was consolidated with Balfour School in 1938.

See Bibliography for References

Extent

1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials

English

Bibliography

'History of Northern Southland' by G.A.Hamilton
Ref: LC 993.96 HAM
'Balfour & consolidated schools centennial 1886-1986' by Elaine Grant
Ref: LC 372 GRA
  • Includes a list of teachers and class photographs.
Title
Ardlussa School
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

Contact:
50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand