Skip to main content

Balfour School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0133


Collection contains original Annual Classification Returns for 1887 to 1954, as well as photocopies of Admission, Progress, and Withdrawal Registers for 1886 to 1976. Included is photocopies of Admission, Progress, and Withdrawal Registers for Sandstone West, Glenure, Longridge North and Ardlussa Schools, all of which consolidated with Balfour. For further records from these schools, please see their individual collections.


  • Majority of material found within 1887 - 1976

Agency contains RESTRICTED ACCESS items

This collection contains restricted material. Please see notes on individual items for further information.

Balfour School

Opening in 1886, the first headmaster was Mr. John Kelly, and the surnames of some of the first pupils to attend included Roy, McLean, Walker, Marshall, Hood, McPherson and Mears. The school opened with 35 pupils on the first day, with 14 more enrolling the next. An early longstanding headmaster at the school was Mr. Robert Learmonth, who served from 1891 to 1916. In 1891 the roll was up to 77. During the early 1890’s hundreds of Macrocarpa, Pine, and Spruce trees were planted. In 1912 the school closed for 2 weeks due to a measles outbreak. The school grew and new rooms added as surrounding schools consolidated with Balfour. They were Sandstone West (1931), Glenure (1932), Kingston Crossing (1937), Longridge Village (1937), Ardlussa (1938), and Longridge North (1948).

Balfour School is still in operation in 2019. It has 5 classrooms and caters for children Years 1 to 6.

- Notes by E.M. Easton -

See Bibliography for References


1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials



'Balfour & consolidated schools centennial 1886-1986' by Elaine Grant
Ref: LC 372 GRA
  • Includes history, photographs, teacher lists, committee names, and Jubliee information for Balfour as well as the schools which were consolidated.
Balfour School
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand