Skip to main content

Central Southland College

 Record Group
Identifier: A0045


Processing Note: This collection is awaiting arrangement and description. It contains a small number of annual reports, photographs and miscellaneous items. Please contact Archives staff for additional details of collection content.


  • 1942 - 1991
  • Majority of material found within 1972 - 1984
  • 1942
  • 1954
  • 1991

Central Southland College

Central Southland College opened in 1965 when the old District High School split from the Primary School. The primary was then called Winton Primary and catered up to Form 2.

The school followed the Nelson Plan, where classrooms appeared in blocks, which was the standard design for schools at the time. It was well-equipped with a school hall, eight classrooms, two laboratories, a library, and rooms for home craft, metalwork and woodwork.

It was officially opened on the 22nd of April 1965 by the Minister of Education Mr A. Kinsella. To make it a memorable occasion the women were requested to wear hats. The college monogram was designed by Mrs P. Wilson and the motto is Ad Summum meaning "To the Heights". The roll at the time was 197 and by 1968 a new block was being planned as the number of students had increased to 400. An unheated, openair pool was built in 1967.

Some school rules from 1965 included boys must have hair above the ears and girls had to wear their hat and gloves outside school grounds.

See Bibliography for References


1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials



'Winton Bear Project 1965 - 1970' by Ashleigh Laverty
Reference: LC 373 LAV
  • Pages 12 - 16: Staff and Prefect photos
Central Southland College
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand