Skip to main content

Chatton North School

 Record Group
Identifier: A0176

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1894 - 1968

Chatton North School

(North Chatton School 1912-1930: Chatton North School 1930-1968)

Originally children from the North Chatton area attended Waikaka School. However, in 1910 when the new Waikaka School opened, North Chatton families objected to the distance their children would have to travel to school. So, they began plans for their own school. Thanks to the efforts of Mr J. E. Winsloe, approval was eventually gained in June 1911. Quickly after this the site for the school was acquired on a ten-year lease from Mr John McQueen and in April 1912 the North Chatton School opened.

In March 1929, a petition from parents in the Black Hills area, saw the school relocated to a new site, one and a half miles closer to Black Hills. However, once the piles were positioned it was revealed that the new site was too uneven, so the school building was moved to a new site on Mr. J. S. Robertson's land. Once ready, it opened in June 1930, with the new name of Chatton North.

The Galloway Shield, which was “awarded to the Southland School with the most points in physical culture” was won by the school in 1931. As this was the last year of the shield competition it remained at Chatton North until the school’s closure. The shieldthen went to the Gore Historical Society.

In January 1962 the school held its 50th Jubilee. However, not long after this a consolidation of schools in the area occurred resulting in the closure of Chatton North. The pupils were then bussed to Waikaka School.

During the 56 years Chatton North operated, 210 pupils attended, 17 teachers had permanent appointments and a similar number served as relievers.

- Notes by E.M. Easton -

See Bibliography for References

Extent

1 box(es) (Box 1)

Language of Materials

English

Bibliography

“The Knapdale Run, It's Land and It's People”, Edited by Elizabeth Kerse.
Ref: LC 993.97 KNA
  • Schools mentioned: Pinnacle, Chatton Road, McNab, East Chatton, Knapdale, Otama and North Chatton. Knapdale children also attended Waikaka, Maitland, Waikaka Valley and East Gore Schools.
  • This book was compiled by residents and former residents of the district. It contains information of interest to local and family historians plus those interested in mining. Inside both front and back covers are double-page maps showing the boundaries of the original run, block numbers and the individual family farms created by the land sales of the 1870s.
  • The editor, Elizabeth Kerse, lived on 'Bushy Park' farm bordering Knapdale land. Educated at Gore High School, she completed an M.A. with Honours in History at University of Otago.
  • At the back of the book there are five appendices: 1. Land Titles with Block Numbers, Maps of each Survey District, Names of owners in date order for each Block, 2. Postal Services, listed by district - Post Masters and Mistresses, Telephonists, Early and Rural Mail Contractors, 3. Schools with families and teachers listed by school, 4. Presbyterian Ministers, from 1883, YFC and CGC Office Bearers plus those for Federation of YFC, 5. Index. It is very helpful for locating families and individuals, especially since bold font has been used to indicate those whose photographs have been included.
  • Chapter 11 is all about the district at war including information about Territorials (1937), Patriotic Committees, Home Defence and Rolls of Honour, Boer War 1899-1901, WWI 1914-18 (by district), WWII Waikaka.
  • Other topics covered include agriculture, mining, community and sport, building a plane and establishing an aerodrome.
Title
Chatton North School
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Invercargill City Libraries and Archives Repository

Contact:
50 Dee Street
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand