Skip to main content

Invercargill (N.Z.)

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 1030 Collections and/or Records:

(1) Schooner Waihopai at corner Conon and Tay Streets, c.1867

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_001
Scope and Contents Features the schooner (or scow) Waihopai which was built outside Mr A. H. Puettelkow's Provincial Hotel on the south west corner of the intersection of Tay and Conon Streets, Block XII, Section 14. See the Southland Times, 13th November, 1867, p.2 for details of it's launch.

The hotel also features in photo number 42.

Photographer unknown.

See bibliography for sources
Dates: c.1867

(2) Old Customs House, Clyde Street, c.1870

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_002
Scope and Contents Customs House, west side of Clyde Street in Railway Reserve/General Government Buildings, Block LXXVIII. Photographer unknown.
Dates: c.1870

(3) Home of Antonio Richard Williams, Dee Street, c.1859 - 1863

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_003
Scope and Contents Home of Antonio Richard Williams [the Black Doctor], Corner Dee and Leet Streets, Invercargill, Block LXIX, section 1 and Block LXVIII, section 22.
Dates: c.1859 - 1863

(4) Tay Street looking East, c.1870s

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_004
Scope and Contents Featuring a team of horses facing east on Tay Street. Buildings situated in Block XII between Nith and Conon streets, and Block XIII between Conan and Ythan Street, line the south side of the street. The building in the far distance is the Farmers’ Arms Hotel on the corner of Ythan and Tay Streets.The north side of the street shows footpath battens. The shadow comes from the archway at the entrance to the Lowther Arcade. Photographer unidentified, possibly Donald William Ross as it...
Dates: c.1870s

(5) W. Lewis Drapers shop, c.1870

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_005
Scope and Contents Block III Section 19, north side of Tay Street between Kelvin and Deveron Streets.
Dates: c.1870

(6) Ketch Danzig in Conon Street, c.1866

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_006
Scope and Contents Features the ketch (or schooner) Danzig which was built outside Mr A. H. Puettelkow's Provincial Hotel on on the south west corner of the intersection of Tay and Conon Streets, Block XII, Section 14. See the Southland Times 14 February 1866, p.2 for details of it's launch.

Also features the Theatre Royal on Conon Street, and a team of bullocks. The hotel also features in photo number 42.

See Bibliography for sources.
Dates: c.1866

(7) Lowther Arcade, Tay Street, c. 1863 - 1864

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_007
Scope and Contents North side of Tay Street, between Kelvin and Deveron Streets, looking through to Esk Street. Block III, sections 4 and 19.
Dates: c. 1863 - 1864

(8) Matheson & Camerons, Dee Street, c.1870

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_008
Scope and Contents Block IX Section 22 East side of Dee Street, in the Langlands Block, between Esk and Don Streets.
Dates: c.1870

(9) Colyer's Princess Hotel, Dee Street, c.1870

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_009
Scope and Contents Block LXXI Section 1, east side of Dee Street, between Don and Spey Streets.
Dates: c.1870

(10) Tay Street with Old Royal Hotel and Fire Station, c.1865

 Component — Box ICC-0998: Series S2752
Identifier: S27520001_010
Scope and Contents Tay Street - South side crossing over Nith Street and along to Clyde Street showing the first Ott family cottage, Old Royal Hotel and Fire Engine House and Belltower. Block XII Sections 1, 2 and 3.

Related photos are 78, 70, 62, 68 and 32.
Dates: c.1865