(96) Police Station, Esk Street, c.1870
Component — Box: ICC-0998
Identifier: S27520001_096
Scope and Contents
South side of Esk and Kelvin Street intersection. Block II, sections 10 and 11, and Block III, section 1.
Featuring: Invercargill Police Barracks [foreground].
Featuring: Invercargill Police Barracks [foreground].
Dates
- c.1870
Conditions Governing Use
This item has no known copyright restrictions. Please acknowledge Invercargill City Libraries and Archives, Ref: A0105 S27520001_096, when re-using this image.
Biographical / Historical
An early reference to any presence of a police force in Invercargill is a tender advertisement from the Provincial Government for the erection of a gaol and lock up (Otago Witness, 9 May 1857, p.1). This was attached to the first Magistrate’s Court of the first Provincial Government buildings. The number of serving police officers was very small, but larger numbers were soon being called for in the newspaper editorials after the discovery of gold.
The Crown Grant Map of 1860 shows that sections 10 and 15 in Block II were set aside as a Police Reserve on the south side of Esk Street The first Police barracks in Invercargill were built here in 1862.The construction was tendered to William Lockhart at £290. However work did not begin until the site had been cleared of tree stumps. This is the building on the right of the photo (Poole, 2002).
The constabulary grew until it consisted of 20 officers, including seven mounted units. Additions to building were completed in mid-1863, consisting of a thirteen rooms, including store-room, Commissioner and Storekeeper’s offices, mess-rooms and rooms for Sergeants. This is the tall building in the middle of the photo.
These buildings were demolished in 1901 and a new Police Station erected on the same site (Southland Times, 18 March 1901, p.2).
The Crown Grant Map of 1860 shows that sections 10 and 15 in Block II were set aside as a Police Reserve on the south side of Esk Street The first Police barracks in Invercargill were built here in 1862.The construction was tendered to William Lockhart at £290. However work did not begin until the site had been cleared of tree stumps. This is the building on the right of the photo (Poole, 2002).
The constabulary grew until it consisted of 20 officers, including seven mounted units. Additions to building were completed in mid-1863, consisting of a thirteen rooms, including store-room, Commissioner and Storekeeper’s offices, mess-rooms and rooms for Sergeants. This is the tall building in the middle of the photo.
These buildings were demolished in 1901 and a new Police Station erected on the same site (Southland Times, 18 March 1901, p.2).
Extent
From the Item: 1 Volumes
Language of Materials
From the Item: English
Existence and Location of Copies
To obtain a high resolution copy of this image please contact the Archive.
Bibliography
SOURCES: PAPERS PAST; HARNETTS (1864); ‘THE SOUTHERN BEAT, MICHELE POOLE, REF:363.2 POO; ‘CENTENARY OF INVERCARGILL MUNICIPALITY, 1871-1971’, REF: 998.98 WAT
Dimensions
H 68mm x W 88mm
Album Caption
96. Old Police Station, Esk Street. 1870.
Repository Details
Part of the Invercargill City Council Archives Repository
Contact:
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
