Kingsland Bakery, corner Don & Jed Streets
Digital Image
Identifier: D27520001_040
Dates
- c.1870
Summary
Corner of Don and Jed Streets, Town of Invercargill Block LXII, section 12.
Wises Directory 1877-78 identifies the location of the Kingsland & Sons Bakery as on the left side of Jed Street from Tay Street between Don and Spey Street.
Present site of the Invercargill Fire Service.
Wises Directory 1877-78 identifies the location of the Kingsland & Sons Bakery as on the left side of Jed Street from Tay Street between Don and Spey Street.
Present site of the Invercargill Fire Service.
Conditions Governing Use
This item has no known copyright restrictions. Please reference Invercargill City Libraries and Archives A0105 S27520001_040 when re-using this image.
Biographical / Historical
Daniel Kingsland came to Invercargill in 1868 with his family. He had been a baker and pastrycook in Croydon, England. In 1869, he took over William Robertson’s bakery in Tay Street known as the “Three Bells” (Town Section LIII, Section 22) (Southland Times, 5 April 1869, p.1).
In 1872, Kingsland moved his business to the NW corner of the Don and Jed Street intersection (Town Section LXII, Section 11). He took his son John into partnership under the style D. Kingsland & Son. They specialised in biscuits and confectionery, as well as providing catering for a large range of social and civic events. Daniel retired in 1882 and the business was continued under his son’s management.
After 1892, the business expanded the size of its premises and a new brick building was erected replacing the one shown in the photo. It now incorporated new and better biscuit making technology (see Southern Cross, 30 December 1893, p.7).
The business was taken over by Macintosh Caley in 1951 and it closed in 1957 (Press, 12/07/57, p.15).
For a photo of John Kingsland, sons and grandson see Otago Witness, 27 September 1921 p.33. See also article Broken biscuits, so fondly remembered by Michael Fallow, Southland Times, April 30 2022.
In 1872, Kingsland moved his business to the NW corner of the Don and Jed Street intersection (Town Section LXII, Section 11). He took his son John into partnership under the style D. Kingsland & Son. They specialised in biscuits and confectionery, as well as providing catering for a large range of social and civic events. Daniel retired in 1882 and the business was continued under his son’s management.
After 1892, the business expanded the size of its premises and a new brick building was erected replacing the one shown in the photo. It now incorporated new and better biscuit making technology (see Southern Cross, 30 December 1893, p.7).
The business was taken over by Macintosh Caley in 1951 and it closed in 1957 (Press, 12/07/57, p.15).
For a photo of John Kingsland, sons and grandson see Otago Witness, 27 September 1921 p.33. See also article Broken biscuits, so fondly remembered by Michael Fallow, Southland Times, April 30 2022.
Extent
1 digital object (From album of 114 photographs) : TIFF file.
Existence and Location of Copies
To obtain a high resolution copy of this image please contact the Archive.
Physical Description
Black and white, gelatin silver photographic print.
Dimensions
H 91mm x W 179mm
Album Caption
40. Corner Don & Jed Streets - showing Kingslands Bakery.
Repository Details
Part of the Invercargill City Council Archives Repository
Contact:
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
